I suggest you ...

Remove the error in the Identity Verification Worksheet stating Tax Client has No Drivers Lic or State ID if IRS does not require

227 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

16 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • C FunkhouserC Funkhouser commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

AMEN! Never been so frustrated with ProSeries than 2016--masking of ID's so more difficult to review, requiring Drivers License when state doesn't, not transfering driver's license information from one year to next. Proseries thinks we can figure out complicated tax issues, but can't figure out if a Driver's license is expired? Aw come on!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The purpose of your software should be to facilitate the fiing of tax returns accurately and in compliance with federal and state regulations. Your programmers should not be mandating requirement not required by law. I am in Nevada. I know a client. I am doing a tax return for him. The ID requirement is optional with the IRS. Apparently, some one at intuit says this is an error and will block or at least hinder e-filing. I should check his driver's license and enter it as THIS IS AN INTUIT REQUIREMENT. You just did this with ACA. in 2014 and 2015 millions of Americans were fined for no health care insurance. HAD THEY PAPER-FILED THEIR RETURNS they would not have had to answer the health care question and they would not have been penalized. Intuit forced the question to be answered when the iRS did not. I have been very happy with ProSerie up until now. PLEASE go back to your original purpose fo meeting IRS requirements and helping tax pros and the public file. Do not add on other things not required because you think they should be.

Let's get something on your "Alerts" about this. Don't keep changing and/or ignoring the form and the problem

• bevlhillbevlhill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

FYI: Intuit support did email me this link,

http://accountants.intuit.com/support/tax/proseries/document.jsp?product=proseries&id=INF30948&src=OctaneEmail

that does explain more about what is going on with the ID feature. It would have been nice if that article had been returned when I searched for information...I think they still need to make some changes. At a minimum, the wording should be clarified. I don't know if it is under their control, but I would like to see more options for ID verification--along the lines of "known them forever."

Totally agree with everyone else...this should only be in the state sections for those states that make it mandatory. Come on Proseries..listen to your customers.

• dianediane commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree, by checking the option "no drivers license", it indicates the taxpayer doesn't have a DL or state ID, which looks suspicious.

• bevlhillbevlhill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The design of this worksheet and the error message it creates is unacceptable. The current setup REQUIRES ticking the box for "No Driver's License or State ID" in EVERY circumstance other than actually entering License information. No combination of other verification measures removes this error. Nor is there ANY information that I could find in the program help, or on the ProSeries Support Website, that CLEARLY states WHAT this statement MEANS; WHERE this information is going; and HOW it is being used. From my standpoint, when I decline to require a driver license from my eighty year old client who has been having returns prepared by my family since they were fifteen, it looks like I have no choice other than to say that my client HAS NO DRIVER LICENSE. CHANGE THIS. Or, put out a statement that explicitly addresses ALL of the concerns expressed by the commenters on this thread. This is poorly conceived and unnecessarily misleading.

Get rid of this. It is offensive to my long term clients to be asked to show me their drivers license. Nor do I want to waste my time entering it.

We file federal tax returns in Florida. No state tax return. Remove ID required for Federal. Include it in the State return input information.

• Dolores LaVelle, CPADolores LaVelle, CPA commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Suggestion to clarify this option for the users:

1. Change the title "Taxpayer - No Driver's License or State ID" to "Taxpayer - No Driver's License or State ID was used for verification"
        2. Move the "Passport", "Account statement from financial institution", "Utility billing statement" and "Credit card billing statement" as a subsection below the new title in #1 above. This would make it much clearer to the preparer that we are not telling the IRS and state that our client does not have a drivers license or state ID>

I am in the same situation as writers below---extra work for my clients and me and it is not mandatory - make this an optional feature so the error doesn't pop up - why should my clients' returns be held up if no license no. or other ID verification is provided. Other tax prep software is not requiring this. I already spent hours researching this topic and the NJ doesn't even have its 2016 instructions posted yet nor any info on whether they are requiring it. Amend the software for this season asap. Also cannot get through to anyone on the phone at Intuit--

If client has been a client for many years - why do we need Drivers license information, this is just another means of having client info open for possible exposure.

• Gerald Bayus Jr., EAGerald Bayus Jr., EA commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree 100% with the previous comments. There IS NO IRS requirement that I could find and the support rep could not site one either. it's great that the ID worksheet has been adopted, but until there is absolute and direct guidance from IRS that this information is required, it should not be designed in such a way to inhibit the preparation process or filing. My client of 10, 20 and 30 years will flip when I say I need to see their drivers license.......My comments have also been sent to management.......

• EA1986EA1986 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree 100%. What a waste of time for those of us who have the same clients every year. Once you check the box with returning taxpayer to same preparer all error messages should be gone.

Feedback and Knowledge Base

© 2009 Intuit, Inc. All rights reserved. Intuit and QuickBooks are registered trademarks of Intuit, Inc.
      Terms and conditions, features, support, pricing and service options subject to change without notice.